Growing New Believers into Missionaries to Our Community
Through
Worshiping God
Loving People
Learning the Bible

7. How Do I Discover God’s Will?

“Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.” Ephesians 5:17
God has a plan for this world and for my life. He wants me to know His will. If I ask and seek Him and study HIS WORD, He will make it known to me.

Colossians 1:9 “…That ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;”
I have a plan and a will of my own that I am in the habit of following (and will be tempted to follow for my whole life). Often it conflicts with what God would want for me. Therefore, I must pray “Your will be done.”

Just like my pet dog is eager to please me and do whatever I am doing, I should be eager to please God. I should not have a cat-like attitude of independence and expecting God to please me.

Furthermore, I must earnestly listen for God’s answer to my prayers and seek direction from the Bible.

Proverbs 14:12 warns me “There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the ends thereof are the ways of death.” 


Jeremiah 17:9 “The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked. Who can know it?”
I can’t trust my own heart or emotions. That would be pursuing my own plans, not God's.

God desires for me to seek His purpose in my life.

Romans 12:2 says “…That ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.”
Since God knows everything and He loves me, it only makes logical sense for me to trust Him with every decision in every area of my life; to make Him my Boss. It would be highly illogical to not trust Him. I must ask if my desired course would please God according to His Word. Even if it is a hard path, obedience is worth it.

Is God part of my story…or am I part of God’s story?

Ways by which I am guided into the will of God.

· His Word. Isaiah 40:8 “…but the Word of our God shall endure for ever.”

All about me may change but God’s Word won’t! Any advice or direction that contradicts the Bible is not of God. He is not the Author of confusion and will not contradict Himself.

· His Spirit. Isaiah 30:21 “…And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.”

· Wait On The Lord. If I’m uncertain, what do I do? Pray. Do nothing. Make no decision because of a time limit. Unless I am sure it is God’s leading, I will let the matter rest. Psalms 27:14 “Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.”

Above all, I don’t worry. I can be concerned, but not fearful. I will remember that God is in charge and will work it all out.

Romans 8:28 “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”

Does this mean I won’t ever suffer?

No. Sometimes God allows suffering;

· To build character in my life.

· Because of my own disobedience.

· Because there is a lesson I need to learn for my own growth that can only be learned through suffering.

· To help me understand someone else and their suffering so I can help them.

· Because we simply live in an imperfect world.



Whatever happens, I can trust that God is in control and nothing surprises Him. This trust is a sign of strength, not weakness. In the long run, anything that happens will be for the benefit of God's kingdom and thus for me.

Response-ability; Our Response to God’s Ability

P-rayer
R-eleases
A-ll
Y-our
E-ternal
R-esources

Don't worry about anything, but pray about everything.