Growing New Believers into Missionaries to Our Community
Through
Worshiping God
Loving People
Learning the Bible

6. Assurance of Salvation

“And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance forever.” Isaiah 32:17

Assurance of salvation is for every child of God. Too many Christians are under a cloud of doubt unnecessarily because of not leaning on the sure Word of God.

My Need for Assurance

I need to know that I am saved because:

· I cannot depend on my feelings.

· I cannot depend on my works, keeping The Law, any set of rules in or out of the Bible, or any church tradition.

· I have an enemy, the devil, who lies to me about my salvation.

 

Therefore, I need assurance. God’s Word provides this.

Positive Proofs of my Assurance

God’s Word tells me that I am saved and that I can know it.

John 3:36 “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life.”

Romans 10:9 “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”

I know by the witness of the Spirit of God.

Romans 8:16 “The Spirit itself witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God.”

God has adopted me.

Romans 8:15 “For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the spirit of adoption whereby we cry, Abba Father (My Father).”
I know by my desire to do God’s will and my new love for the brethren that I am saved.
 

1 John 4:13 “Hereby know we that we abide in Him, and He in us, because He hath given us of His Spirit.” 

1 John 3:22 “And whatsoever we ask, we receive of Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight.”
Romans 12:10 “Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love in honor preferring one another.”
I no longer seek the world’s ways. Rather, I earnestly strive to apply Romans 12:2

“And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, acceptable, and perfect (mature) will of God.”
I am Secure in Him

Christ has promised to keep me.

Jude 24 “Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy.” 

Romans 8:38, 39 “For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
The Bible says I have “Everlasting life.” 


1 John 5:13 “These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.”

John 3:36 “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.”

How Does Someone know that he is saved.

How does a man know anything? By the evidence.

Suppose I am dealing with a friend who has accepted Christ, but has not the assurance, which a believer should have. Do I ask him to kneel down and pray until some happy feeling comes into his heart? No. I take God’s Word and put it into his hand, and say, “My friend, will you read the 36th verse of the 3rd chapter of John?”

He reads “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life.”

I say to him “Who has everlasting life?”

“He that believes on the Son of God.”

“Do you believe on the Son of God?”

“I do.”

“Have you everlasting life?”

“No, I do not feel it.”

I suggest that he reread the passage.

He reads, “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life.”

I say, “Who hath everlasting life?”

He looks at the Book and says, “He that believeth on the Son.”

“What have you?”

“Why, I do not know that I have anything.”

“What does that verse say that the one who believes on the Son of God has? How many of those who believe on the Son have everlasting life?”
“All of them.”

“How do you know it?”

“It says so.”

“Do you believe on the Son?”

“I do.”

“What have you?”

“Everlasting life.”

“How do you know it?”

“Because God says so.”

Satan’s Response to My Salvation

1 Peter 5:8 “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.”
Satan hates people and he wants as many as possible to join him in hell. He has had many centuries of practice at luring people away from God.

After I come to God, I will get sick, have surprise company, suffer a car breakdown, and many other events just at the perfect time to keep me from attending church.

All sorts of “fun” things that Christians aren’t supposed to do will present themselves to me, usually with good friends or dear relatives begging me to join them.

Things will go wrong with my life to try to discourage me. I may lose my job, fight with my spouse or children, cars may break down. My health may suffer.

I may even have problems with other Christians; misunderstandings or different points of view.

If I hold true to God, though, in time He will give me the victory. I must abide in Him. This is like holding a small puppy in my hand; as long as the puppy sits still and content in my palm, he is safe. If he jumps off my hand, however, he will fall to the ground. I must determine I will serve Him no matter what. When I have proven this, Satan loses the power to annoy me.

James 4:7b “Resist the devil and he will flee from you.”

Can I Lose My Salvation?

Yes. 

Ezekiel 18:24 “But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.”

2 Peter 2:20,21 “For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them..”

It is possible for me to lose my salvation. However it isn’t very likely. If I abide in Christ I shall live.

How do I know if I am backsliding?

I will know if I am backsliding if I begin to show the Fruits of the Flesh listed in Galatians 5:19-22:

“Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.”

Or as worded in the New International Version:

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;

20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions

21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God..”



If these things begin to increase in my life, I am heading away from God. There will come a time when I am so far away, I am no longer saved. I must keep a watch on myself to make sure I am always heading toward God. This path is obvious by the increase in the Fruits of the Spirit in my life:

Galatians 5 “22 But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.”

Or in the NIV:

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.

26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

The Christian walk is a journey. As long as I am constantly showing more Fruits of the Spirit I am heading towards God. If I begin to show the Fruits of the Flesh instead, I have turned and headed the wrong way. I must repent (turn) and head to God again.