Growing New Believers into Missionaries to Our Community
Through
Worshiping God
Loving People
Learning the Bible

5. Why Must I Get Saved?



Because I am a Sinner.

Because Adam disobeyed God in the Garden of Eden and ate of the forbidden fruit, sin became a part of my nature. I am not able to keep the commandments of God.

Romans 5:12 “Wherefore as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men for that all have sinned.”

Romans 3:23 “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”

Romans 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death…”

Ezekiel 18:20 “The soul that sinneth, it shall die...”

A sin is…

· Loving anything more than God

· Disrespecting my parents

· Having a selfish thought

· Pride

· Stealing

· Taking anything that is not mine

· Lying, deceit

· Lusting after someone who is not my spouse

· Adultery

· The misuse of sex

· Murder

· Hatred

· Violence

· Kidnapping

· Drunkenness

· Rebellion

· Being mean, unmerciful or unloving

· Stirring up trouble

· Not forgiving someone who hurts me

· Greed

· Gluttony

· Selfish anger

· Envy

· Gossip

· Cussing

· Worry

· Fear

· Witchcraft

· Breaking promises

· Being untrustworthy

· Not caring for the things we are supposed to take care of.

· Disobeying God

· Choosing to be stupid

· Stirring up Trouble

· Teaching false doctrines

· Being happy when others do the above

· Approving of other’s sin

See Romans 1:21-32, Galatians 5:1-21, 1 Timothy 1:9-11, 2 Timothy 1:7, Exodus 20:3-17, Jeremiah 17:5, Matthew 6:14-15, Matthew 5:21-48,1 John 2:9-11, 2:15-17, 3:7-10, 3:15, 4:18-21

It may help me to simply think of a sin as anything that does not please God; the willful rebellion against God and His ways.

Jesus said, "For every tree is known by his fruit." Luke 6:44

The above list is the fruit (sign) of sin. Sin cannot exist in the presence of God, so someone who sins cannot be with God.

All humans have sinned. It is not possible for any human to have not sinned. We simply aren’t capable of being good by ourselves. This is because sin is just a sign of where my heart is. If my heart is trying to follow its own plan, I will sin.

Without salvation, my sin dooms me to hell, the Lake of Fire, eternal separation from God and all the good He has created. I deserve everlasting death.

God’s Love for Me.

All my needs were provided for before I ever realized that I was a sinner.

Isaiah 53:5 tells me that Christ was “...wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.”
1 John 4:9, 10 “In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent His only begotten son into the world, that we might live through Him.

     10 Herein is love not that we loved Him, but that He loved us, and gave His Son to be the Propitiation (atonement, payment) for our sins.”

Jeremiah 31:3 “…Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with loving-kindness have I loved thee.”

Because I am not capable of being good enough to not sin or to pay for the sins I have committed, Jesus paid for my sins for me.

God’s Provision for Me

Isaiah 53:6 “All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way and the Lord hath laid on Him (Jesus) the iniquity of us all.”
I am pictured as a lost sheep away from the shepherd. Christ the Good Shepherd sought me.

Luke 19:10 “For the Son of Man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.”

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”

I will reread John 3:16 (above) again putting my own name in place of the word “whosoever.”

I hear the Good Shepherd’s voice calling me and I will answer His call.

Romans 5:8 “But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”
Realizing this, I will repent (turn away from) my sins and confess with my mouth the Lord Jesus. I will respond to God’s provision for me and receive forgiveness for my sins.

1 John 1:9 “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to forgive us from all unrighteousness.”
I will take time now to accept Christ as my personal savior. If I am already saved, I will take this time to renew my commitment to the Lord.

“I have experienced something wonderful and supernatural since accepting Christ as my personal savior. Now I want a better understanding of what has taken place by studying the Bible. One thing I know: that He first loved me.”

I Responded to God’s Call.

Now that I’ve confessed Jesus and have accepted Him as my personal Savior, God dwells in me.

1 John 4:15 “Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.”
I am saved. All my sins have been erased.

Romans 10:9-11 sates “If thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, whosoever believeth on Him shall not be ashamed.”

Now I am a part of God’s family.

John 1:12 “But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them believe on His Name.”
I am Born of Him. I am His child.
 

John 1:13 “Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.”
I was born once by physical birth of my earthly parents. Now I have a different birth through Christ.
 

John 3:6 “That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.”

With my human mind I can never understand the new birth for it is spiritual.
 

1 Corinthians 2:14 “But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.”
I know that I am a new creature.
 

2 Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.”
This change reminds me of the caterpillar, which is transformed into a beautiful butterfly. No longer is it an ugly crawling creature. Rather it has changed into a colorful flying one.

My life seems similar. God has changed my ugly sinful self, bound by habits of sin, into a person capable of exhibiting the Fruit of the Spirit; “Love, joy, peace, longsuffering, (patience) gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance (self-control).” Galatians 5:22, 23

My new birth is evidenced by my new motives, new desires, and a growing love for the things of God. My goal in life now is to be like Jesus.

Ezekiel 36: 26 “A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you…”

So it is according to Titus 3:5
 

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done but according to His mercy He saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost.”
And since I have been (1 Peter 1:23) “Born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth forever.” I now have eternal life.

“He that hath the Son hath Life.” 1 John 5:12