Growing New Believers into Missionaries to Our Community
Through
Worshiping God
Loving People
Learning the Bible

4. What Is The Character Of God?

Who is God?

God has chosen to reveal Himself to me in the Bible. Only by reading It can I come to know Him. Some of the names of God in the Bible are:
 

Advocate,

Almighty,

Ancient of Days,

Author and Finisher,

Baptizer,

Bishop and Guardian of Our Souls,

Chief Apostle,

Chief Cornerstone,

Christ (Messiah),

Comforter,

Counselor,

Daystar,

Deliverer,

Everlasting Father,

Everlasting God,

First Born,

God of Everlasting Time,

God of Seeing,

God of the Covenant,

God Our Righteousness,

God Our Rock,

Godhead,

Great High Priest,

Head of the Body,

Highest,

Holy One,

Immanuel (God Is With Us),

Jealous (he wants nothing between him and us),

Judge,

King of Kings,

Father,

Lamb of God,

Lamb Slain Before the Foundation of the World,

Last (Or Second) Adam,

Lord (Boss),

Lord God Almighty,

Lord God,

Lord of Lords,

Master,

Mighty God,

Mighty One,

Our Banner,

Our Peace,

Physician,

Pioneer and Perfecter of Our Faith,

Potentate,

Prince of Peace,

Redeemer,

Righteous One,

Rock,

Root of Jesse,

Salvation (Jesus),

Sanctifier,

Savior,

Seven Fold Spirit,

Shepherd,

Shield,

Spirit of God,

Spirit of Grace,

Spirit of Holiness,

Spirit of Life,

Spirit of Mercy,

Spirit of Truth,

Stone,

Strength,

Strengthener,

The Anointed One,

The Branch,

The First and the Last,

The I Am,

The Lord Is There,

The Lord of Hosts,

The Most High,

The One Who Heals,

The One Who Sanctifies,

The Sun of Righteousness,

Wonderful,


But What IS God?

God is the eternal, creative Spirit. He made everything, knows everything, and is everywhere at the same time.

John 4:24 “God is a spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth.”

Genesis 1:1 “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.”

Genesis 21:33 “And Abraham planted a grove in Beersheba, and called there on the name of the Lord, the everlasting God.”

Deuteronomy 33:27 “The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms: and he shall thrust out the enemy from before thee; and shall say, Destroy them.”

Job 37:16 “Dost thou know the balancings of the clouds, the wondrous works of Him which is perfect in knowledge?”

Psalms 90:2 “Before the heavens were brought forth, or ever Thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, Thou art God.”

Psalms 139:2-16 “Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising; Thou understandest my thoughts afar off…

     3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.

     4 For there is not a word in my tongue but, lo, O Lord, Thou knowest it altogether…

     5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.

     6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

     7 Whither shall I go from Thy spirit? Or wither shall I flee from Thy presence?

     8 If I ascend up into heaven, Thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, Thou art there.

     9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;

     10 Even there shall Thy hand lead me, and Thy right hand shall hold me.

     11 If I say, ‘Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.’

     12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to Thee…

     14 I will praise Thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are Thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

     15 My substance was not hid from Thee when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

     16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in Thy book all my members were written which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.”

What is God’s character?

1 John 4:8 “He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.”

1 John 4:16 “And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.”

1 John 4:10 “Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent His Son to be the propitiation (payment) for our sins.”

God is Love.


Job 37:23 “Touching the Almighty, we cannot find Him out: He is excellent in power, and in judgment, and in plenty of justice: He will not afflict.”
If God wanted to harm me, He could. He does not need to wait for my acknowledgment of Him or for my permission. However, He chooses to love me instead.

Psalms 89:14 “Justice and judgment are the habitation of Thy throne: mercy and truth shall go before Thy face.”

Isaiah 9:7 “Of the increase of His government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon His kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even forever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.”

Jeremiah 23:5 “Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.”
God is Justice.


Philippians 4:19 “But my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.”

Psalms 23:1 “The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want (have needs).”

Psalms 34:9 “O fear the LORD, ye His saints: for there is no want (needs) to them that fear Him.”

Psalms 34:10 “The young lions do lack, and suffer hunger: but they that fear the LORD shall not want (be lacking) any good thing.”

Proverbs 13:25 “The righteous eateth to the satisfying of his soul: but the belly of the wicked shall want (be empty).”

Philippians 4:11 “Not that I speak in respect of want (need): for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.”
God is my Supplier.



If God is love and He is the supplier of all my needs and He is just, then if He tells me to do something, He will give me all I need to do it. He will not tell me to do something and then sit back and laugh at me while I flounder. I can depend on His supplying all I need. I can't always tell where that supply will come from and God often waits until what seems to me to be the last minute to give me those supplies in order to build my faith that HE will supply. But I CAN depend on Him. So the next natural question is…

What Does God Want From Me? What Is My Purpose In Life?

This is an important question to ask.

Ecclesiastics 12:13 “Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: fear God, and keep His commandments: for this is the whole duty of man (kind).”

John 14:15 “If ye love Me, keep My commandments.”

Matthew 19:17 “And He said unto him, ‘Why callest thou Me good? There is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.’”

John 15:10 “If ye keep My commandments, ye shall abide in My love; even as I have kept My Father's commandments, and abide in His love.”

1John 2:3 “And hereby we do know that we know Him; if we keep His commandments.”

1 John 5:2 “By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep His commandments.”

OK, He wants me to keep His commandments. What are they?

Deuteronomy 6:1,5 “Now these are the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments, which the LORD your God commanded to teach you, …

     5 Hear, O Israel: The Lord (Boss) our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.”

Matthew 22:37-40 “Jesus said unto him, ‘Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.’"

So if I Love God more than anything else in the world and love my neighbors as much as I love myself I am obeying all the laws and commandments contained in the Bible.

I am to love God more than anything or anyone else in the world. He is to not only be my first priority, but interwoven into all my other priorities.

I might ask with the lawyer speaking to Jesus;

Luke 10:29b "And who is my neighbor?"

Jesus responds by telling him the story we now call "The Good Samaritan."

Luke 10:30-36 “And Jesus answering said, ‘A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.

      32 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.

      33 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.

      34 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,

      35 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.

      36 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.”

The Levite and priest were high officials in the church. They were fellow countrymen to the injured man, distant family members, if you will. They were also supposed to be in the business of caring for the hurt and poor. It was part of their job.

Samaritans were highly despised by the Jews and the feeling was generally mutual. Yet in Jesus' story it was the despised one, the one the hurt man would have spit on if he could have, who helped him.

Luke 10:36-37 “Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was a neighbor unto him that fell among the thieves?’ And he said, ‘He that shewed mercy on him.’ Then said Jesus unto him, ‘Go, and do thou likewise.’"
I am to love other human beings as much as I love myself.
 

Philippians 2:3-7 “Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory: but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus. ”

Like Jesus, I am to put the needs of my fellow man ahead of my own needs. I am to serve others like Christ served them. This includes not only the people living in the physical house next door, but my spouse, my children, my parents and siblings, my friends and coworkers, my enemies and those on the other side of the planet.

If I have a Christ-like attitude, I will have Christ-like behavior.

God compares us to olive branches grafted into an olive trunk.

Romans 11:17 “And if some of the branches be broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and with them partake of the root and fatness of the olive tree;”
When most trees are grafted onto a new trunk, they retain their original make up; an orange branch grafted onto a grapefruit trunk still produces oranges. A peach branch grafted onto an apricot trunk still produces peaches.

Olive trees are different. A wild olive branch grafted onto a domestic olive trunk will produce domestic olives. The branch becomes identical to the trunk.

The Bible says that Jesus is the trunk and we are the branches. When we accept His salvation, we become like Him.

Only by living a life of sacrifice can I have the fulfillment of truly knowing God. Only by following Luke 17:33 can I have true satisfaction.
 

“Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.”
I must lose my life to God in order to obtain true happiness.